Wood fillers help hide the appearance of cuts and notches in wood finishes and furniture, but they are also often used to fill gaps that remain after laying drywall or installing a new door frame. The best way to make sure that guests do not notice anything is to purchase a painted agent that has a texture similar to that of wood. Here are some of the best fillers for wood on the market.
This is a water-based wood filler that is easy to use and easy to clean after finishing.
- suitable for furniture, terrace, patio, fence, window sills, door frames or crafts;
- does not crack, does not shrink and provides excellent adhesion to the surface;
- available in 13 colors, which allow you to match the color of the original canvas very precisely;
- mix it with any dye or pigment;
- resistant to freezing-thawing;
- easily reconstituted with water;
- environmentally friendly with a non-toxic formula and without volatile organic compounds.
- may have a yellow tint.
It will quickly and easily fill nail holes, cracks, chips and any other small defects in painted, bare, treated wood with a single layer.
- great for restoring the wooden surface;
- ideal for home use;
- does not need to be sanded after drying;
- suitable for Minwax dyes.
- very slow drying.
It works best with porous wood species, such as walnut, mahogany, ash or oak.
- creates smooth surface;
- water-based surface, environmentally friendly, non-flammable;
- dries quickly;
- without volatile organic compounds;
- easy to apply;
- excellent adhesion;
- well combined with oil and water paints, lacquers and primers.
- will last only a few seasons;
- may create an uneven appearance.
It is a professional-level product with a soft texture.
- versatile – suitable for panels, doors, molding, plywood and other wooden furniture and items;
- give the surface imitation of wood;
- coated surface can be sanded, cut, painted, drilled;
- reliable and durable;
- for internal and external work;
- hardens in the air.
- difficult to clean;
- may spread unevenly;
- may dry too quickly for large surfaces.
It’s a quality wood filler for large holes or potholes in wood.
- does not crack and does not shrink;
- dries in 15 minutes;
- can be painted and sanded;
- for internal and external work;
- does not contain solvents and does not have a strong odour;
- professional-level product that will withstand intensive use.
- brightens the surface a little.
1. Ease and simplicity of application. Some types of wood fillers are characterized by very fast drying, which creates certain difficulties when applying them, especially in the absence of proper experience. It is better to refuse the use of quick-drying mixtures in this situation.
2. Consistency. Thicker fillers are best suited for filling large gaps, cracks or potholes, while more liquid ones fill the pores in wood with fine grain.
3. Place of work. For exterior or interior decoration.
4. Purpose of work. In this case, it is important what result you want to get: surface treatment for painting for better adhesion, masking of defects, crack filling and leveling, restoration, improvement of the qualities and certain characteristics of wood.
5. Wood filler color. Having picked up a mixture of a suitable color, the treated surface can be left unpainted and immediately varnished.
6. Safety for health. In principle, after drying, all fillers are safe, but some of them contain chemical solvents and ammonia, which emit a strong unpleasant odor during the application and if they get on the mucous membrane, they can cause irritation and even an allergic reaction.