The air-conditioning market is made up of various and varied products. Portable air conditioners are the most sought-after models in the household market because of their ease of installation. Like all portable air conditioners, the distinctive feature of these air conditioners is that they are equipped with transport wheels. The size is also not the same as that of a single-package air conditioner.
That said, when it comes to air conditioners, the points you should check are the design of the unit, its power, maintenance, and ergonomics. For example, the Whynter Portable Air Conditioner Platinum features a dual-outlet exhaust system. The Danby DPA080E2WDB-6 Medium Portable Air Conditioner is a model that has been specially designed for a room with a surface area of 350 m².
The 5 Best Portable Air Conditioners of 2020
A portable air conditioner is more convenient than any other model on the market. If you're looking for one, take a look at the items below, after consulting a buying guide for the best portable air conditioners in Canada.
1. Whynter Portable Air Conditioner Platinum
Which portable air conditioner to choose? Almost everyone has already asked this question and not for nothing. Indeed, the number of air conditioners sold on the market is continuously increasing. In order not to make a mistake in your choice, it is essential to compare each model that fits your budget. Known for its performance, this 14000 btu portable air conditioner can cool any room. What's more, it's the best performing model in its category. In addition to its performance, this air conditioner also acts as a fan, but also as a dehumidifier. Specifically, you will be entitled to a thermostatic control that can be adjusted from 61°C to 89°F. This parameter will be displayed on a digital screen. Practical, this unit integrates a programmable timer.
Thanks to the presence of the plastic window, the air filter, and the pre-filter, its maintenance will not cause you too many problems. The transport casters are also there to make moving around easier.
- Functional: The temperature provided by this air conditioner is quite comfortable. Moreover, the plastic window makes all the difference.
- Easy to move: The transport wheels are far from being gadgets. Whether it's on carpet, parquet, or tile floors, they always remain as efficient as ever.
- A power problem: Some users are experiencing a problem with the power button. As time goes by, it becomes harder and harder to operate, and it ends up with a total loss of control.
- Noisy: With the noise this device makes, watching TV becomes an impossible task.
2. Danby DPA080E2WDB-6 Medium portable air conditioner
Asking for advice on how to buy a more cost-effective portable air conditioner is a common thing to do. What better way to do this than to consult a buying guide? With an output of 8,000 BTU, this Danby portable air conditioner is capable of cooling a living room, bedroom, or small studio.
Equipped with a dehumidifier, it has a 55-quart capacity. Besides, the flow is direct, ensuring continuous operation.
As for the timer, the maximum duration of its programming is 24 hours. Its use will also reduce electricity consumption.
Modular, the power of the ventilation system can be adjusted at 2 speeds. To top it all off, this air conditioner is equipped with only one hose. Therefore, the hot air will be quickly evacuated to the outside of your home.
- Modern design: The design of this air conditioner is not an old-fashioned model.
- It's easy to install: Since it has only one exhaust pipe, it shouldn't give you a hard time fitting it.
- Compact: Because of its small size, this air conditioner will be very easy to install.
- Lack of reliability: The life of this device is minimal. As proof, many users face a problem with the compressor.
- Very noisy: The noise of the ventilation is omnipresent, which is quite annoying.
3. Delonghi America pacan120ew 12000btu Whisper Cool
Before making your purchase, ask yourself first where to buy the best portable air conditioner. This will lead you to the comparison. On these sites and the opinions given by users, the title of the best portable air conditioner is often given to this model, and it is not by chance.
Indeed, this air conditioner works thanks to a condensate recycling system. Its 12,000 btu output also allows it to air-condition an area of 450 square meters.
In addition to air conditioning, this 12000 BTU portable air conditioner also includes a fan and dehumidifier. The efficient dehumidifier model is capable of removing 54.95 percent of humidity within one day. Equipped with a silver filter, its use does not present any risk to the health of the occupants.
Wheels and carrying handles have been provided for easy transport. The timer is easy to set. Timer means energy saving.
- A beautiful design: The finish of this air conditioner is impeccable. The control panel is very easy to understand, and the unit has several operating modes.
- Refreshing: The 12,000 Btu announced by the manufacturer is only a theoretical value.
- Easy to install: Delonghi has provided a perfect mounting kit. Moreover, this air conditioner is very easy to install.
- Noisy: As soon as it is set to full power, this unit becomes noisy.
- Heavy: Although it is equipped with transport wheels, the weight of the unit is always felt.
4. Eco-Air Portable Air Conditioner 14,000 BTU
Knowing how to choose the best portable air conditioners for 2020 is always useful if you want to air-condition your apartment. Otherwise, you'll end up with a product that won't necessarily meet your needs. With a power of 14,000 Btu, this model is designed for those who have a surface area of 700 m² to air-condition.
In one hour of operation, its consumption will not exceed 2 kW. For a unit of this size, that's not much. Practical, this portable AIR conditioner is equipped with a standby mode. This mode has been specially designed for the sole purpose of promoting good sleep.
A new 24-hour timer is also available. As you can undoubtedly imagine, this air conditioner can perform an automatic restart.
Moreover, whether it is the temperature or ventilation speed, your preferences will be saved. Not expensive, you will be able to buy it for a very reasonable price.
- Functional: Given the efficiency of air conditioning, this portable air conditioner will have no trouble conditioning an entire ground floor.
- Discreet: This air conditioner is very sober and has a "one size fits all" design.
- Comfortable: Featuring a timer and automatic restart, this model is convenient to use.
Noisy: Its most significant defect is the noise of the compressor. Slow: Despite its performance, this model is known for its slowness. This defect is confirmed by user feedback.
5. Senville SENP/10 Portable Air Conditioners 10000 BTU
Rather than making an impulse purchase, consider asking about the best portable air conditioner on the market. This can be based on brand awareness, but also product quality. Voted the best brand of portable air conditioners, Senville has made a name for itself thanks to the variety of its air conditioners.
Integrating a 3-in-1 system, this unit is equipped with an air conditioner, turbo, and fan mode. Also, note that its power is rated at 10,000 Btu. Easy to move around, this model's design was made for this purpose.
Also, its weight is below the average of 24 kg. Due to its small size, this item will find its place in the corner of an office, living room or bedroom.
Equipped with remote control, adjustments can be made remotely. In its category, it is the cheapest air conditioner on the market.
- Solid: The hose that comes with the air conditioner is of very good quality.
- Easy to adjust: The temperatures shown on display are accurate to the nearest degree. Using the remote control, it is easy to adjust the thermostat.
- Easy maintenance: The water tank empties automatically. The drain hose will remove the excess water.
- A noisy fan: Sleeping with the unit turned on is almost impossible. This is certainly not a silent portable air conditioner. Many people have tried to muffle the fan noise with the volume of the TV, but the result is always the same.
Buying Guide - How to Choose a Good Portable Air Conditioner?
Before you find out where to buy a new portable air conditioner, let's look at the three main purchasing criteria: operating modes, electricity consumption, and the surface area to be air-conditioned. First, let's look at the most common features of a portable air conditioner.
Most of the models integrate three different functionalities, which are air conditioning, ventilation, and dehumidification. In summary, the principle of air conditioning is based on four elements, namely the evaporator, the condenser, the expansion valve, and the compressor. It is inside these components that a fluid known as a refrigerant circulates. The coolant can be in a liquid state or the form of a gas.Overall, it is the hot air in the room that will be cooled by the evaporator. When it mixes with the refrigerant, the fluid becomes gas and passes through the compressor. At this stage, the gas will be compressed to very high pressure before entering the condenser. The calories produced by the heating of the gas will then be evacuated to the outside of the house.As it passes through the expansion valve, the fluid becomes liquid and circulates to the evaporator. This process is repeated until the desired temperature is reached. It is during the final phase that the ventilation system intervenes. Usually, it is powered by an electrical circuit. Depending on the design of your appliance, the extraction of gas to the outside of the house can be done in different ways.In the dehumidifier mode, the humid air circulating in the room will be drawn in by the air conditioner. After filtering, it will be diffused into the condenser. It is the compressor's turn to transform the water vapor into water. Usually, this liquid will find its place in a tank. The final step is to spread the dry air throughout the room. If you feel it is warmer than usual, this is normal.Speaking of features, it is essential to note that there are other options such as heating, timer, touch screen control, or remote control adjustment using a remote control. Each choice makes the user's life easier.
Finding the balance between efficiency and electricity consumption is no easy task. The more powerful the air conditioner, the more energy it will consume. On the other hand, it is not advisable to buy an appliance that is not very efficient, since it will tend to overuse energy.
It all depends on the size of the room you want to cool. Depending on the model you choose, its power will be between 2000 and 3500 W. For optimal consumption; you should know that a surface area of 1 m² requires a force of 100 W. If you want to lower your bill, there are several tips. One of them is to install curtains. Also, note that using a timer is an excellent way to save energy.Apart from the size of the room to be air-conditioned, the energy classification of the unit is also a parameter not to be neglected. To put you in context, the classes vary from A to G. The most economical unit is still the one with a level A rating.
The performance also means noise level. Generally, this value, which is expressed in decibels, is mentioned in the product description, but also in a price comparator. The higher it is, the louder the air conditioner will be. Some models are known for the noise pollution they generate.
Surface to be air-conditioned
Apart from formula one m² = 100 W, the architecture of the device must be chosen according to the size of the room. Below 40 m², a monobloc air conditioner will do the trick. For larger areas, a split portable air conditioner is more suitable.
As a reminder, a monobloc air conditioner is a model that consists of only one unit. In the portable air conditioner category, these units are equipped with transport wheels. This variant is intended for studio use. In other words, it is primarily used as a portable air conditioner.
By opting for a single-package model, you will get a unit that is easy to use and very economical. As far as editing is concerned, it will not be the least of your worries. Monobloc air conditioners are also more affordable than a split model.
A split air conditioner, on the other hand, is a unit composed of an indoor and outdoor unit. As the name implies, the first component is installed inside the room while the second component is installed outside. The connection is made with a so-called refrigerant connection.