Dogs bark. That is a given. Just like talking for humans, barking is a form of communication for dogs which allows them to express their feelings and tell us that they need something.
Sometimes, dogs bark excessively. Excessive barking usually means they are feeling uncomfortable about something. When this happens, try to figure out what makes them feel this way.
HOW TO BARK LIKE A DOG
Possibly one way that can help you train your dog or communicate with them is by knowing how to bark like them. Try to follow these steps:
To bark like them in a normal barking sound, say “Rrroof” in an inward manner.
To make it sound more intimidating, say “Rrroof” in a long and outward manner, then do it again in a shorter and louder way repeatedly.
COMMON REASONS WHY DOGS BARK EXCESSIVELY
1. They feel the need to become territorial or protective. An unfamiliar presence can trigger excessive barking.
2. They sense fear or alarm. Dogs can be sensitive about any noise or object that catches their attention or startles them.
3. They feel bored. When dogs are left alone for a long period of time, they can become uneasy because they are pack animals in nature.
4. They want to play. When dogs see a new person or another animal, they can get a little too excited.
5. They want attention. Dogs bark when they want to play, go for a walk outside, eat, or something else. Barking is their way to get their pet parent’s attention.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY DOG BARKS EXCESSIVELY?
You can help your dog calm down and lessen the excessive barking. However, it takes some effort. You need to take time and work on the techniques consistently. Here are a few tips on how you can train your dog to lessen its barking:
1. Speak to your dog in a calm manner. Speaking in a loud tone or shouting will make your dog feel that you are joining the barking party.
2. Train your dog to understand the word and command “Quiet.” There are different ways to do this. Do some research or ask dog trainers for advice.
3. For dogs who are overly sensitive to noise or objects, try to limit their sight of the surroundings.
4. If you cannot help but leave your dog alone for a couple of hours, make sure it has toys or that it can do enough activities alone to keep itself occupied.
5. Do not tolerate your dog getting what it wants just to stop the annoying barking sound.
Knowing how to bark like your pet dog can be advantageous, but there are other ways you can train your dog to help lessen the excessive barking. Just keep in mind that it takes time for them to unlearn it and you need a lot of patience in training them.
In time, they will learn to keep themselves calm in anxiety-inducing situations.
Check out more of our tips on how to train your dogs using a dog training collar, or how to get them to stop barking.
CAN RABIES MAKE YOU BARK LIKE A DOG?
Although this might be the case in old black and white horro movies, rabies doesn't make humans bark like dogs.
WHAT DOES A BARKING DOG SYMBOLIZE?
Dogs bark for so many reasons - from wanting to play, to wanting to kill! However, if you hear a dog barking in your dreams, it could mean that your neighbors like you, or that, in a work environment, you need to show what your capable of.
DO DOGS GET TIRED OF BARKING?
Although a tired dog may bark less, dogs don't get tired of barking!
Here’s a video that could help you get the hang of barking like a dog: