Who doesn't know them: the unsightly lumps on sweaters or jackets that form on certain fabrics after some time. However, you do not have to dispose of your clothing because of this, you can solve the problem by using a fabric shaver. With it, you will remove these lumps without damaging the textile. In our TOP-5 we have collected only the best models that are available right now.
Philips GC026 (under $20)
The Philips GC026 is a little helper that gets rid of those pesky lumps on textiles. You can use the lint remover on garments and blankets made of the following textiles: cotton, wool, cashmere, flannel, and synthetic fibers.
In addition to removing lumps from clothes, you can also use the fabric shaver for car seats as well as carpets. To prevent the Philips device from damaging the material, it has two height settings. To get the necessary distance from the clothes or car seat, place the cap on the shaving head.
- Large blade surface area;
- Large and easy to remove lint container;
- Available in a few colors.
- No protective cap.
Ruidla Fabric Shaver (under $15)
This device is a battery-operated lint shaver. With the Ruidla Fabric Shaver, you can gently remove lumps from your clothes and furniture. It is easy to use with one hand and fits comfortably in your hand thanks to its compact shape. Use the on/off switch to set the lint shaver in motion and turn it off again. The lint collection container is transparent, so you can see immediately when it is full. To empty it, simply remove the container.
According to the manufacturer, the plastic is of good quality. The integrated spacer helps you to better handle different surfaces. It is mainly used to gently handle delicate surfaces like wool.
- Ideal for delicate surfaces;
- Has a protective cap;
- Transparent container.
- No cleaning brush.
Pritech Fabric Shaver and Lint Remover (under $30)
Pritech's lint shaver makes it possible to remove lumps from sweaters, socks, bedding, stuffed animals, and other textiles. The model has three stainless steel blades that are said to be durable and sharp. This fabric shaver is suitable for different types of fabrics, such as cotton, synthetic fibers, wool, cashmere, and flannel.
- Three durable and sharp stainless steel blades;
- Does not need extra batteries.
- The price is higher than for other models.
POPCHOSE Fabric Shaver (under $35)
POPCHOSE Fabric Shaver is a fabric shaver with a handle. It is gray and is made of plastic. According to the manufacturer, its features include three durable and sharp blades. They rotate at a speed of 9,000 revolutions per minute. As the manufacturer states, thanks to the design of the suction device, the lint is automatically transported to the container. The height of the spacer can be adjusted too.
- Replacement blades included;
- High rotation speed;
- Does not need additional batteries.
- Comparatively heavy (13.7 ounces).
Conair TS800LR (under $15)
The Conair TS800LR is a small and handy tool that lets you remove lint and tangles from a variety of fabric types. Due to its compact format and light weight, it is very suitable for traveling. The device is equipped with a metal lint grid, which "pushes" the removed pieces into the collection container. The container is made of transparent material, so you can see when it is full.
- Compact lightweight for on-the-go use;
- With metal lint grid;
- Transparent container.
- No height settings.
Buyer’s guide: what to look for when buying a fabric shaver?
Do you have clothes that are unsightly and no longer wearable because of the lint? Then this device is for you.
When buying a lint shaver, you should pay attention to the following criteria:
- The shape of the fabric shaver differs only minimally. However, the majority is made of plastic. If you value high quality, you should buy a lint shaver made of chrome or stainless steel, although they are much more expensive and there are only a few such models.
- The number of blades also plays a role in the result. Most devices have two blades and only some have three or even four. In some devices, there is no possibility to change the blade. So, if the lint remover is dull, you can dispose of the device. If you want to avoid this, you should make sure when buying that the blades are replaceable.
- The majority of lint shavers vibrate when removing the nodules of tissue. However, this vibration is usually so low that you can still easily hold the device in your hand.
- Motor power plays an important role. Especially if you want to work on larger areas. In this case, you should also opt for a lint remover that is designed for processing larger areas. If you need the lint remover rather rarely, then choose a device with batteries.
- The runtime of the lint remover is sometimes quite different when you compare the individual products.
- The size of the lint bin can also be relevant when making a purchase - especially if you know you want to cover larger areas. The larger lint bin means you won't have to empty the device as often, which will mean your faster completion of the job.
- Safety mechanisms such as the safety shut-off make sense in most situations. For example, if the safety guard over the blades comes loose, some units will shut off. This way, you don't run the risk of reaching into the blades during operation and cutting yourself.
- Accessories make cleaning and maintaining the device easier. A small cleaning brush is included with most units. You can use this to clean the lint collection bin and the shaving head.
If you buy a device with replaceable blades, you should stock up on replacement blades right away. Some manufacturers include the batteries needed for operation, while others require you to purchase batteries separately.