The answer is simple: No. Grapes and raisins are proven to be extremely toxic for dogs. However, research has yet to pinpoint exactly what chemical from the fruit triggers this response. Because of this, peeled or seedless grapes should likewise be avoided.
Gender, breed, or age of your dog doesn’t have anything to do with the effect on grapes. Also, because there isn’t a specific amount that can be considered safe, you should avoid feeding grapes and raisins to your pet at all costs.
Sadly, grape/raisin toxicity can even be fatal. Ingesting the fruit might result in acute or abrupt kidney failure. According to the Animal Poison Control Center, they obtained a total of 3,722 calls involving grapes and raisin poisoning alone in 2016.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS OF FEEDING GRAPES TO YOUR DOG
The unwanted effects of eating grapes and raisins can be divided into short term and long duration.
In short term duration, the first and most apparent symptoms are stomach pain and nausea. This normally develops within only half an hour after eating the grapes. This can be accompanied by the puppy lacking energy and losing his appetite. But even after getting rid of the nasties and gradually returning to normal, the after-effects of eating grapes can take a more serious turn.
The unidentified toxic compound in grapes can potentially lead to kidney failure. Indications of this can develop within 24 hours after eating the fruit. Signs of renal failure include excessive thirst, increased urination, and oral ulcers. He might also keep on vomiting. A worse sign is that the dog keeps on drinking a lot of water but doesn’t urinate at all. This can mean that his kidneys are already severely damaged. Without intensive and immediate care, the dog’s health may perish in just a couple of days to weeks.
INDICATORS OF GRAPE TOXICITY
Despite being toxic, the scent of grapes can be attractive to your pets. They’ll know whenever you are snacking on a handful of grapes or raisins and will wait for you to drop a few pieces on the ground. If he ingests a couple of grapes or raisins, he might display one or more of these symptoms:
- Reduced appetite
- Inactivity or weakness
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea a few hours after ingestion
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent urination
- Reduced or no urination at all
HOW CAN I KNOW IF MY DOG ATE GRAPES?
It can be tough to find out since some symptoms of nitric oxide mimic other disorders. If your puppy eats grapes or raisins, contact your vet immediately. If there aren’t any instances where they ate grapes but your dog is behaving unusually, vomits, or has awful diarrhea, it’s also wise to call the veterinarian. Dogs that have eaten grapes might not show immediate signs, so pet owners should consult their veterinarian even when their dog is fine.
The fewer grapes your puppy eats and the sooner you seek treatment, the better chances your dog has to feel better immediately. Your visit to the vet may cause them to vomit more, so make sure you supply your dog with lots of fresh water to hydrate them constantly. If your dog becomes seriously ill, they may need additional blood supply and the use of a defibrillator.
ALTERNATIVE TREATS FOR YOUR DOG
There are a few berries and fruits that they can eat without any worries. The ideal way to take care of your pet would be to give him yummy treats that are specially formulated to fit his nutritional requirements.
Keep in mind that treats should include a maximum of 10 percent of your puppy’s total calories daily. Explore other foods that your dog can eat. If your pet ingests something poisonous, call your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) by calling (888) 426-4435 immediately.
THE MAIN POINT
Feeding your dog with grapes and raisins is an absolute no-no. Stick to dog food, healthful dog snacks, and dog-safe treats.