A wheelbarrow is a “transport” that you will definitely need in the country. It is used to transport soil, fertilizers, sand, construction material, etc. The undoubted advantages of the wheelbarrow – the cart takes all the weight, thereby easing the load. All models of wheelbarrows have the same design. They are a capacious trough assembled on a frame with one wheel or several wheels. But how to choose the best wheelbarrow from a huge number of options?
1. Pure Garden 50-LG1079 2-Wheeled Garden Wheelbarrow (under $130)
This wheelbarrow belongs to the reinforced models and has a very strong wheel axle made of steel rod. The bearings are reinforced and reliable, of the automotive type, will last a long time and will carry a lot of loads. The wheelbarrow is highly stable due to the geometry of the wheels and does not tip over by itself. The tray is wide and roomy, with a 5 cubic foot volume. The load capacity is 300 lbs. Weight – 32 pounds.Check Price
2. Gorilla Carts GOR1001-COM Heavy-Duty Steel Utility Cart with Removable Sides (under $160)
It’s a both hand and towed wheelbarrow with 24.5-inch high mesh removable sides and reliable pneumatic wheels that will help you transport large volumes of loads with a minimum of physical exertion. Comfortable rubberized handle. The studded tire treads ensure flotation even in mud or sand. The cart is easy to roll even when fully loaded (1000 lbs). Weight – 12 pounds. Cons: mesh bottom – you can not load bulk cargo directly into the body, leaves and twigs can be clogged into the mesh.Check Price
3. Gorilla Carts Heavy-Duty Poly Yard Dump Cart (under $210)
The four-wheeled cart has the function of a dump truck. When you press the special handle, the rear axle drives forward, thereby tilting the body. After unloading the contents, the body itself snaps into place. Easy to handle – heavy loads (up to 1,200 pounds) can be carried even by a woman or a teenager. Ergonomic handle. Easy to maneuver even between bushes and trees. The polymer body is well washed from dirt and even from concrete. Easily rides on heavy ground. Cons: thin walls of the trough. Weight – 54 pounds.Check Price
4. Polar Trailer #8449 Cub Cart (under $160)
The wheelbarrow with two wheels is highly stable and does not roll. The body is securely attached to the frame and support with 5 bolts. The high support makes the loading process convenient. The light weight (36 pounds) makes it easier to operate it. High-quality rubber coating of the handles prevents slipping, does not rub fingers. 400 lb body is reinforced with 2 supports on the front side. The steel frame, coated with powder enamel, is not exposed to the environment.Check Price
5. WORX WG050 Aerocart 8-in-1 2-Wheel Wheelbarrow (under $200)
A unique cart that is the opposite of a standard wheelbarrow. It is a versatile lifting and moving cart that instantly turns from a wheelbarrow into a dolly. The increased load capacity (300 lbs) allows you to move heavy loads around the yard. The tray and frame are made of stainless steel. If you are transporting large items or materials that are not standard in shape, you can use two extendable brackets that fold down to easy transporting.Check Price
How to choose a wheelbarrow
1. The main criterion when choosing a wheelbarrow is reliability.
When choosing it is worth looking at the metal of the body-trough of the wheelbarrow. It is desirable that it is galvanized steel, which has sufficiently thick walls. In addition, it is desirable that the cart be light enough. Paint or galvanizing will protect against rust.
2. The cast frame will provide the proper level of reliability. The frame supports the body, undergoes a very heavy load, so it is desirable that it does not have any welded joints at all.
3. An important parameter is the load capacity. The larger it is, the better, since you can transport more material at a time.
4. The volume is also important. It will show you how many bulk materials you can transport at a time. This is sand, gravel, crushed stone, and so on.
5. It is also important to consider the convenience of using a wheelbarrow. It should facilitate the worker’s work, not complicate it. If we talk about the shape of the body, the most convenient – trapezoidal. In the front part there should be a small bevel. The wheelbarrow should have ergonomic handles, moderate exterior dimensions to fit into any space, even narrow ones.