Showering with hot water helps prevent hypothermia. The benefits of using a water heater are best realized in winter, especially when the temperature is below freezing. With all the different models and brands available, it is not always so easy to find the right model.
To help you in your quest, here are a few points to check. Make sure that the design of the appliance is in keeping with the style of your bathroom, then find out about its power and tank capacity. Part of our selection, the Ecosmart ECO 27 is known for its sturdiness and reliability. The Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 E-Series will make the happiness of people living in a studio.
The 5 Best Water Heaters of 2022
Given the diversity of the models that we will present to you, you will find in this classification a device that will meet your needs. You will also have the possibility to choose a water heater according to your budget.
1. Ecosmart ECO 27
The best brand of water heaters is the one that manages to offer a quality product with a price that defies all competition. Requiring an electrical installation of 200 Amps, this water heater develops a power of 27 kW. In addition, your electrical panel must have 3 circuit breakers of 40 Amps. All this safety device is explained by the fact that it is the most efficient model in its category.
Well designed, the Eco 27 integrates a self-modulating flow sensor. This will prevent any form of over-consumption. In terms of ergonomics, you should know that this water heater is equipped with a digital screen and an adjustment knob.
Everything has been thought out so that the user has control of the water temperature, to the nearest degree. In addition to this, note that the heat exchanger is made of copper. If you are looking for the best water heater on the market, there is a good chance that you will find this tankless water heater.
- Reliable: This model can last for many years without any malfunction.
- Functional: Eco 27 is suitable for all seasons. For example, the water temperature can be adjusted from 10 to 60 °C.
- Compact: The housing is small, which saves space. Some would be tempted to think that it is not capable of providing a large amount of hot water, which is quite the opposite.
- Requires professional help: By design, a plumber and an electrician would be more appropriate.
- Difficult to set up: Setting up the system is not as simple as it sounds.
2. Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 E Series
How to choose the best water heaters for 2022? It all depends first and foremost on the weather conditions in the country where you live and then on your criteria in terms of design, functionality, and price. The power of this model is adjustable from 9000 to 12000 W. That said, make sure that your installation delivers a voltage between 208 and 240 V. This check is strongly recommended before you buy it.
Easy to use, the temperature adjustment is done with a thumbwheel. In addition, each bearing is illustrated by a different color. As a reminder, this device supplies hot water with a temperature between 30 and 52°C.
The space-saving housing is 36.1 cm long, 20.1 cm wide, and 10.4 cm thick. It weighs an estimated 2.7 kg. So it comes as no surprise that it appears in any buying guide for the best water heaters in Canada.
- Fast: Hot water reaches the tap in just 30 seconds, which is relatively fast. On top of that, the supply line is made entirely of copper.
- Good flow rate: If you open the tap halfway, you already have a flow rate that is adequate. This optimization also reduces electricity consumption.
- Space-saving: Due to the size of the housing, it will not interfere with your daily activities. On top of that, it is very well finished.
- Difficult-to-find circuit breakers: The difficulty in finding or not finding a circuit breaker compatible with this device will depend mainly on your electrical panel.
3. Thermoflow UT10 Under-sink mini electric water heater
Taking a cheap model when you don't know which water heater to choose is a technique used by many people. However, some appliances are real problem nests. Often presented as the cheapest model on the market, the UT10 from Thermoflow is sold at a relatively low price. On the other hand, it can be compared to a mid-range water heater.
Easy to install, this 2.6-gallon capacity unit fits perfectly under a sink. In addition, the tank is made of stainless steel, which is very practical especially for a device that is supposed to contain hot water.
Thanks to the integration of thermostat technology, this water heater automatically switches to standby when the hot water reaches the right temperature. A safety device has also been put in place to prevent overheating. In terms of performance, this appliance delivers a power of 1.5 kW and operates with a pressure of 150PSI.
- An instant water heater: By placing it directly under the sink, the water will heat up almost instantly. On top of that, the connections are very easy to install.
- An exemplary grip: The operation of the adjustment wheel is very easy to understand, which greatly simplifies the grip.
- Quiet: For a 15000 W water heater, this model is very quiet.
- No wall bracket: Not everyone wants to install it under the sink. To mount it on a wall, a wall bracket will have to be made.
4. Zinnor Electric hot water heater
Where to buy the best water heater when you're on a tight budget. The answer to this question is usually found in comparison. These sites contain everything there is to know about recently produced models so that you have the best water heater on the market.
Based on an automatic heating system, this model can automatically control the temperature of the water circulating in the tank by increasing or decreasing the amount of cold water. It also features four safety devices, including one against boiling, overheating, leaks, and pressure build-up.
This will extend the life of the appliance. It is solidly built with a ceramic lining. That said, it is difficult to notice it because of its sober design.
- Easy to maintain: Drainage is both easy and quick to carry out. The fact that the discharge port is equipped with an anode protection lining is also a factor.
- Solid: Its structure has been treated against corrosion, scale formation, and overheating. The number of safety devices installed by the manufacturer makes it a very reliable and safe model.
- Sober: This water heater will not be an eye-catcher, however, it is still pleasing to the eye.
- A complete kit: The kit contains all the accessories needed for installation.
- Heavy: Weighing more than 13.6 kg, it is heavier than these competitors.
5. Rheem 21i40ft 40 Gallon Gas Water Heater
Many people ask for advice on where to buy a new water heater. This is only natural, as there are many players in this market. With a capacity of 40 gallons, we are dealing with a water heater that is 44.8 cm long, 26.5 cm wide, and 14.5 cm thick.
You should also know that the weight of this model is 63.5 kg. Unlike an electric water heater, it operates on liquefied petroleum gas or LPG with an input of 34,000 BTU/h. Due to its chemical composition, this gas is less polluting than pure butane.
As for its use, this propane water heater is intended for domestic use. Well designed, the temperature control knob is perfectly accessible. Also note that this model incorporates a pressure relief valve opening, which allows for pressure optimization.
- No leakage: The fact that the valves are equipped with a plastic insert makes the installation watertight. A galvanic corrosion protection device has also been installed by Rheem.
- Easy installation: The connections are very easy to make. The push-button that is used to start the system is very easy to engage in.
- A good design: With such a complete control panel, you will be able to follow in real-time the temperature of the water stored in the tank of this 40-gallon water heater.
- A large tank: The tank is large enough to satisfy the hot water needs of a family of 4 people.
- Periodic maintenance: The service life of the pilot wires, gas, and the relief valve is 3 years.
Buying Guide - How to Choose a Good Water Heater?
It is important to recognize that knowing how to buy a water heater that offers the best value for your money is very important. However, relying solely on a price comparison will take away your objectivity. The purpose of a buying guide is quite the opposite, so why deprive yourself of it?
The number of occupants
Usually, the tank capacity of water heaters is between 50 and 300 liters. For this reason, it is important to take into account the number of occupants and their age.
Let's take the case of an adult person living alone. A 50-liter water heater will cover his or her daily hot water needs. In the case of a child, a 25 l tank will do the job. On the other hand, a family with three children will need a 250 l water heater. Note also that the daily requirements will be reduced during the summer months.
Taking a model that is below 40 liters is not a good idea unless it is only for household chores and cooking. Otherwise, if you opt for an oversized water heater, it will be a waste of money. In fact, only a quarter or half of the hot water will be used.
Frequency of use is also a criterion that should not be overlooked. Take the case of a family with working parents and school-age children. Usually, it is only in the morning and evening that everyone is at home, so consumption will be reduced. You should also know that in one hour of operation, a water heater will consume 2.2 kWh. Based on this value, you can determine the power of the appliance that will be adapted to your needs.
Taking a water heater according to its location and the size of the bathroom or kitchen is an implacable logic. However, it's not just the size of the room that matters. That's why there are cylindrical and square tank water heaters.
Depending on the model you choose, it can be installed vertically, horizontally, or even on a wall bracket. In terms of design, there are three types of water heaters, namely the so-called classic models, monoblock, and bi-block thermodynamics commonly called split. In terms of size, the first and second variants are more or less the same size. In other words, they will require quite a lot of space. Ideally a room of at least 20 m³.
To differentiate between them, note that conventional water heaters operate using an electric resistance, while single-block thermodynamic models use the energy of the wind. The least cumbersome models are the two-block water heaters. After all, the tank is installed indoors. It can be in a cupboard or in a bathroom. The heat pump, on the other hand, can be installed outside the apartment.
In order for your appliance to last longer, the water circulating in the system must be of good quality. If this is not the case, use a tank that has an anti-corrosion treatment. Recourse to the warranty should be a last resort. Speaking of which, be aware that the minimum duration is 3 years as opposed to 12 years on the most qualitative models. The longer the warranty period, the longer the life of the water heater.
As secondary functionalities, some references are equipped with a screen to monitor the water temperature in real-time, a timer, and a programmable system. Self-learning is also one of the most coveted options. To make things simpler, this feature will automatically generate the amount of hot water the household will need, according to the users' habits. The advantage of such a system is above all the savings in water and energy.
To talk about the economy without mentioning the existence of solar water heaters is to miss out on something that could preserve the beauty of our planet. Contrary to other variants, this device can only be installed outdoors and more precisely on the roof of the house. As for its operation, it relies on glycol water, which is a liquid that is insensitive to temperature variations.
In addition, it is capable of storing solar energy from various collectors. For your information, a solar water heater can cover up to 70% of a household's needs. In addition to this coverage, this device does not pose any risk to the environment. On the contrary, it contributes to the preservation of our beautiful planet.