Scientific calculators became indispensable in college. That said, buying your first calculator is not always easy, especially if you haven't taken the time to learn about the subject. To give you an idea, there are 3 types of calculators: scientific, graphical, and financial calculators. Each variant has its own area of interest.
Usually, it is the functionality of the machine that takes precedence over design, screen size, and power supply. In any case, it will depend on individual preference. Let's take the example of the Casio FX-9750GII-WE Calculator which is a graphics machine dedicated to high school and university students. Conversely, the Sharp EL-W516XBSL 556 Scientific Calculator has an excellent programmable memory.
Top 5 Scientific Calculators of 2020
To illustrate our point, we have compiled a list of the 5 best calculators of the moment. Since nothing is perfect, each model has its advantages and disadvantages. However, we would like to point out that these calculators have already proven their worth.
1. Casio FX-9750GII-WE Calculator
Due to the quality of its products, the calculating machines of the Japanese firm Casio often top the sales charts. This is why it is considered to be the best brand of scientific calculators. With its 0.26 MB internal memory and LCD display, the FX-9750GII is by far the most powerful model in its segment. In addition, the display's 64 x 128-pixel resolution provides crisp and accurate graphics. Compact, this calculator fits easily in your pocket. In addition to its small size, this model weighs only 213 g. The elegance and simplicity of this Casio scientific calculator are also worthy of note. However, if you're not a fan of the white and blue finish, you can always take it in yellow or pink. If you're still wondering which is the best scientific calculator on the market in Canada, know that you already have the answer.
- Lots of functions: This best scientific calculator is able to solve any equation. As usual, the solution will be represented by a curve.
- Easy to use: The design of the keys makes it very easy to use. The design of the keys makes it very easy to use and the keys are perfectly arranged.
- A large screen: Due to the width of the screen, the curve can be read from different angles.
- Lightweight: The weight of this calculator is hardly noticeable, even with the batteries.
- Takes time to adapt: Given the number of features it comes with, don't expect to master them all at once.
- Difficult to open: Opening the case is not a piece of cake.
2. Sharp EL-W516XBSL 556 Scientific Calculator
How to buy a scientific calculator with better value for money has always been a question on the minds of parents and students. To do so, feel free to compare all the models that fit into your budget.
Equipped with a large LCD screen, this machine offers a comfortable display. To avoid any scratches, it is protected by a rigid and sliding case. This space-saving Sharp scientific calculator is 7.62 cm wide and 15.24 cm long. The first modern models were launched in 2016.
In terms of functionality, this calculator features Normal, Stat, Drill, Complex, Matrix, List, and Equation modes. Note also that it can solve cubic and quadratic equations.
With more than 640 functions, its use is not limited to algebra and geometry. As for its power supply, the EL-W516XBSL 556 runs on a Lithium battery.
- 640 functions: The number of functions that this calculator has makes this machine a versatile model.
- Well-organized: The menu has been organized for easy access to various functions. So you can rely on your intuition.
- Programmable memory: The use of a programmable calculator is strictly forbidden during exams.
- Fragile: The case does not inspire too much confidence. Indeed, it is made with first price plastic.
3. Casio FX-115ES Plus Scientific Calculator
The site where to buy the best scientific calculator is often mentioned in a buying guide. Once you've found the right model, all you have to do is place an order. This calculator is sold at a low price and is designed for students on a tight budget. However, that doesn't make this model a bad machine.
In total, it includes 280 functions including fractions, complex numbers, arithmetic, linear regression, standard deviation, computer science, and rectangular polar conversions. To top it all off, the multi-replay function is a great help, especially for modifying and verifying calculations.
Made entirely of plastic, this scientific calculator with fraction remains very light and easy to carry. High school and college students won't be disappointed to have it as a calculator. Besides mathematical calculations, the FX-115ES Plus is also used in statistics, physics, or even during biology classes.
- Compact: As it is a pocket calculator, it remains very easy to store.
- A very good display: Whether you are indoors or outdoors, this will not take anything away from the quality of the display. It's the advantage of a good display.
- Reliable: The life of this machine is much longer than that of its competitors.
- Pleasant to the touch: Made of quality plastic, it doesn't feel bad to the touch.
- Long battery life: Casio's calculators are renowned for their battery quality and the FX-115ES Plus is one of them.
- Not for engineers: This calculator cannot make function curves.
4. Texas Instruments TI-30X IIS Scientific Calculator 2 lines
Asking for advice on how to choose the best scientific calculators for 2020 is not surprising. In fact, the number of comparisons of calculating machines is increasing all the time. With its 2 lines, doing an operation with fractions and integers becomes child's play. The presence of the LCD screen also makes all the difference.
With a weight of 136 g, this Texas Instrument scientific calculator will not weigh down your bag. The design will make both boys and girls happy. Indeed, this model is available in navy and light blue, pink, green, purple, and purple. Of course, the color of the keys will be adapted to the color of the case so that everything is homogeneous.
As for the menu, it has been designed for school use. As for its design, this calculator has been manufactured with the sole purpose of facilitating statistical calculations and mathematical functions. For your information, Texas Instruments supplies a Lithium battery.
- Modern: The TI-30X IIS has all the features that a modern scientific calculator should have.
- Intuitive: The ease of use makes this calculator an excellent model. For the first time calculator, it will be hard to find a better one.
- A wide variety of colors: From blue to pink, purple, and green, this machine will appeal to the general public.
- Light: Weighing less than 200g, this calculator is as light as a school pencil case.
- A very bad viewing angle: The screen becomes unreadable when the machine is not placed flat on a desk.
5. Casio Inc FX-300ES Plus Scientific Calculator
Buying a calculator without learning about its features is anything but a good idea. Choosing a model because it is cheaper than its competitors is also not the right solution.
It's all about value for money. The FX-300ES Plus from Casio is equipped with an LCD screen. The quality of the finish is also there.
In black, this calculator remains discreet. That said, other colors such as blue and pink are also available in the catalog. As with most Casio calculators, the FX-300ES is made of plastic.
In terms of its use, this machine is used in mathematics, for example in algebraic calculations, geometry, trigonometry, and statistical operations. By using the Multi replay function, it is quite possible to go back to previous calculations and correct them if necessary.
- Many functions: In addition to the many functions integrated by Casio, this machine is capable of calculating values in pi units, in a fractional and rational way.
- Easy to use: The size and quality of the screen will simplify the daily life of middle and high school students. Moreover, housing is rather thin.
- A successful design: No matter what color you choose, the quality of the finish will always remain the same.
- Delivered with a protective case: Rare are the models that come with a protective case.
- Limited use: Despite its performance, the FX-300ES Plus is not a graphing calculator.
Buying Guide - How to Choose a Good Scientific Calculator?
Before going further and listing which scientific calculator to choose when you're in junior high, high school, or university, it's important to talk about the main buying criteria. In this section, we'll cover everything there is to know about features, display, and power. Here is our buying guide for the best scientific calculators.
Unlike a standard calculator, scientific calculators have functionality that goes beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Here, the term science refers to equations and curves of functions. Moreover, the performance of a machine can be judged by a variety of control buttons. The more, the better. As a reminder, there are 4 different modes which are the so-called mathematical, trigonometric, algebraic, and statistical functions.In middle school, the choice of a scientific calculator is not as complex as in high school. It's from the first class onwards that everything gets more complicated since the students who prepare a literary and scientific Baccalaureate will follow different programs.If you are preparing for a general or technological baccalaureate, the machine you need is a graphic calculator. As its name suggests, it is a machine focused on the graphical representation of mathematical functions. This variant can also handle logarithmic functions. With a graphing calculator, storing functions and their results and formulas becomes possible. A scientific graphing calculator can be recognized by the width of its screen.As for future bachelors who have opted for a scientific series, what could be better than a programmable calculating machine. Being an improved version of graphic calculators, programmable models have a large internal memory of up to 1 GB. At the same time, they will be able to store more formulas. Also, note that some models are recognized by a computer as an external device. Usually, the connection is made via a USB cable. We all know that working on a computer screen is more convenient than working on a calculator screen.
For higher education, investing in a new calculator is not a requirement unless you have decided to go to a business and finance school. In this case, the purchase of a financial calculator is strongly recommended.During official tests and exams, using a calculator that is not equipped with an exam mode is considered cheating. In a nutshell, this mode is a kind of barrier that will prevent access to the calculator's internal memory. This block can be temporary or permanent. Unblocking is done either by a computer or with the help of another calculator.
Quality of the display
It is on the screen that all graphs and results will be displayed. A good visual rendering is one of the qualities of a good calculator. The screen resolution itself is not synonymous with quality if the screen is too small. Screen size is very important, especially for graphing calculators.Apart from the size and sharpness of the display, the color of the screen can be a source of annoyance if it is not well proportioned. The best thing to do is to consult the users' opinions if there are negative remarks on this subject. As a matter of fact, relying only on a price comparator is not the best solution. As for the number of lines, it all depends on your habits. Nevertheless, working with a single-line calculator is much more constraining than with a 2 or even 3-line model.BatteryA scientific calculator works with either a battery or a battery. The question is whether you are going to use it daily or only occasionally. If it's for regular use, the battery is still the best option. In some models, the battery is rechargeable. In addition, batteries have much greater autonomy and lifespan than a battery. Also, make sure it is included in the purchase, otherwise, you will have to pay for one. Note that each machine has its own specificities. All this information is available on the website where you will place your order. Seen in this light, knowing where to buy a new scientific calculator not only saves a few dollars but also time. The advantage of batteries is that they are less expensive. On top of that, they're easy to find. But whether it's one or the other, having a spare battery or a spare battery will prevent serious problems. In fact, there is nothing stressful about running out of batteries in the middle of an exam.