The jigsaw is an excellent helper for all kinds of repair and construction work. It greatly improves your productivity and the quality of your work. Thanks to its low weight and compact dimensions the jigsaw is often used not only to shape cut sheets or profiles but also to make straight cuts.
In order to buy a robust tool that will last you a long time, we have studied different types of this tool and consumer reviews and present you with a jigsaw quality rating to help you make the right choice depending on your needs.
5 jigsaws to buy in 2021
The Bosch JS260 jigsaw is the first choice for domestic use. The tool's optimum power (620W), allows you to perform longitudinal and shape cutting of materials such as wood, plastics of various kinds, metal, ceramic tiles, and rubber.
- Presence of speed regulator for cutting mode.
- No vibration while working.
- Handy saw blade mount for fast change of cutting element.
- Lighted cutting area. A great feature in poor lighting conditions.
- Many consumers note the inconvenience of operation and poor suction when a hoover is connected to collect sawdust.
The Makita 4329 K electric jigsaw is great for all slicing operations. It can be used to cut wood (up to 65 mm), metal, and plastic. This tool will be a good helper when doing a lot of construction and repair work, in the home workshop.
- High-quality build.
- Reasonable price.
- Low weight and compact size.
- Tool case for storage of tools and additional accessories.
- Excellent accuracy.
- Lack of system for a quick change of cutting tools.
This jigsaw has been designed for a variety of applications in the construction industry and is ideal for use in the metalworking industry. The tool has plenty of power, allowing it to withstand quite high loads and work for long periods of time.
- Easy enough to handle, it allows you to perform operations without prior preparation.
- Quick and precise cutting of any material.
- Quick and easy change of cutting elements without the use of any tools.
- Poorly designed change of cutting angle.
- Lack of connection system for hoover. The problem can be solved by purchasing additional required parts.
The RYOBI One+ P5231 can be used by professionals for the most demanding precision applications.
The jigsaw has a four-stage pendulum mechanism with which both rough and finish cuts can be performed. This tool is useful for craftsmen working with wood as well as metal in various construction and renovation applications.
- The high quality of parts and assembly distinguishes Bosch products.
- High power output.
- Long cable to connect to the power grid.
- Lack of storage and carrying case for the tool.
- Inconvenient tilt change system, particularly if the tool needs to be tilted frequently.
This jigsaw is ideal for people who are not planning to work on thicker materials. It can be recommended for craftsmen to install laminate flooring or work with boards.
- Neat and clear cuts in any material.
- Comfortable, ergonomic handle and compact size.
- Blows sawdust away from the cutting area. Allows not to deviate from the cut line marking.
- Inconvenient start button on top of the tool.
- The on/off button is of poor quality, so often fails.
How to choose a jigsaw
The main purpose of a jigsaw is to make curved cuts in sheet materials. It can also be used for cutting boards, trimming limbs, or making straight cuts, but the jigsaw will not be very effective for these tasks.
A circular saw is better suited for straight cuts. All the advantages of the jigsaw become apparent when making shaped cuts.
This is why this tool is usually used:
- In furniture and joinery workshops for sawing out furniture elements, flat balusters, staircase parts, and decorative elements.
- In construction, for cutting out penetrations in wooden floors and plasterboard ceilings, roof parts made of profiled sheeting, metal tiles, and roofing iron.
- In locksmith workshops for the production of shaped sheet metal parts.
- For drywall, floor coverings, and tiling in interior construction.
If you need an inexpensive tool that can make shape cuts in plywood, thin boards, and roofing iron, choose from a range of budget electric jigsaws.