Many people think that the internal memory of a computer is enough to store their data. That's just if you don't have a lot of stuff to back up. But with millions of bytes of files to store, you need more storage space. Something you'll get with an external hard drive. If you're looking for one, here's our ranking of this year's best models.
Just to name a few, WD My Passport Wireless SSD External Drive can duplicate your files directly to its 250 GB from an SD card reader. Also, you've got Seagate Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive with 200 GB, Cloud connectivity, and a large 4 TB capacity.
Top 5 Best External Hard Drives of 2020
How to choose the best external hard drives of 2020? It's simple, just refer to our comparison of the five best models at the moment. Seagate, WD, or even Toshiba, each of these brands has its advantages and disadvantages: cheap, powerful, all-in-one, basic, etc.
1. WD My Passport Wireless SSD USB 3.0 250GB external drive
Western Digital can be considered the best brand of external hard drives. It is known for its wide range of quality models. A quality that can be found without surprise in this model.
This one is characterized by its SSD technology. It has an internal structure that is durable and resistant to shocks and drops. Durability is further enhanced by external protective bumpers.
It is also distinguished by its writing and reading speed of up to 390 MB/s. This model features a one-touch copy button for direct import of photos and videos without the use of a computer or software (via its integrated SD card reader or a camera).
This device allows the streaming of 4K video content and viewing of photos with the MyCloud application (using its built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi modem connection). It can also export RAW images from third-party applications such as LumaFusion.
- Rugged: With an internal SSD drive and external protections, WD My Passport withstands vibration and shock well.
- Standalone: This device can operate independently of a computer or dedicated software. Its SD card reader and one-touch button make it easy to import photos and video files directly.
- Long battery life:With 10 hours of battery life, this wireless external hard drive promises a smooth day's use.
- Micro USB 3.0 port: We regret that its interface only has a micro USB 3.0 port and not a USB-C port.
2. Seagate Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive with 200GB
Before asking the question "where to buy the best external hard drive", you still need to know which one to choose. There are different models on the market. And brands are introducing more and more high-performance variants, including this Seagate Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive.
This item comes with a large capacity of 4 TB. It is compatible with mobile devices (iOS 7 or higher, Android 2.3 or higher), Windows PC, and Mac OS.
Portable, it weighs only 245 g and has a 2.5" format. Its case is made of metal and adopts a silver color. On the interface side, it integrates a USB 3.0 port with an average speed of 120 MB/s.
This camera comes with Seagate Dashboard management software. Among the functions of this tool: perform and schedule automatic continuous backups (in the cloud or locally), share your media data to/from Facebook, Flickr and YouTube.
- Easy to use:Plug&Play, Seagate Backup Plus works right out of the box as soon as you plug it into a PC or MAC through its ports.
- Large capacity:With its 4 TB, this device offers a wide range of storage possibilities. It can be used as an expansion memory for gaming systems, multimedia banks, etc.
- Price:The launch cost of this external hard drive is relatively high for a 2.5" format.
3. Toshiba 2TB Portable External Hard Drive
What is the best external hard drive on the market? To be able to claim such a title, the major brands offer products that are at the cutting edge of technology and in tune with the times.To stand out from the crowd, they are very resourceful. As for the Toshiba brand, they are coming up with this 2TB external hard drive model.This drive is available in different colors, but this model is blue. Canvio Advance style, it adopts a vibrant design. It is a 2.5" portable drive.
It weighs only 150 g and measures 10.9 x 7.9 x 1.4 cm. Its Serial ATA interface is coupled with a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 port. This disc is compatible with Windows PC. On Mac, it requires reformatting before being operational. On Windows, this storage device is paired with Toshiba Storage backup software.
- Lightweight and portable: In the range of 2.5" external hard drives, this model is among the lightest. It's lightweight, compact and space-saving.
- Lock function:Toshiba Storage Security Software secures your data with a password.
- Tedious use on the Mac:Toshiba 2TB Portable External Hard Disk Drive is only functional on the Mac after reformatting. Also, Toshiba's dedicated Security and Backup software is not available on Mac.
4. Western Digital My Passport external portable hard drive-USB
Western Digital never ceases to surprise us with its ever more efficient storage means. This one proposes models with their own specificities. For those who want the best external hard drive here is the: Western Digital My Passport portable external hard drive-usb.
This black Standard Finish style drive has a more vibrant and elegant design. It is light, small (11 x 8.2 x 1.6 cm) and portable. It weighs only 168g and fits in the palm of your hand.
With a capacity of 1TB, this device has multiple functions. In particular, its WD Backup software allows it to launch automatic data backups.
To protect your files, it uses password security with built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption. With WD Discovery, easily import your data and cloud (Facebook, Dropbox, GoogleDriveTM). This software also allows disk management with WD Drive Utilities.
- Reliable:This model is small and robust. Small and compact: You can hold this external hard drive in the palm of your hand or slip it into a pocket. It's small enough for that.
- System Requirements:This storage device must be configured before it is operational. On a Windows PC, the WD Discovery software must be installed on the PC via the drive.
5. Seagate Backup Plus Portable External Hard Drive 1TB
With capacities ranging from 1 TB to 4 TB, it's not always easy to know how and where to buy a new external hard drive.
Especially when you know that it's not just the size of the device that matters. Among the right references, this 1to external hard drive has everything to please.
It has an all-black casing. Its look is minimalist, discreet, and elegant. It has a brushed finish. It is mini and slim, weighs 127 g, and measures 11.5 x 7.8 x 1.2 cm.
Its interface includes a USB 3.0/USB 2.0 port. It is compatible with Windows and Mac. However, if you have a Mac, it may require reformatting to allow the use of Time Machine software. Backing up files can be done manually with one click.
- Compact and portable: With its 127g, this external hard drive is very light. Its small and slim size makes it easy to store and carry around.
- Easy Backup: Local data storage is just one click away. And its Seagate Toolkit automatic backup software is easy to use.
- Durability to be desired:The design quality of this drive is correct. However, the material of its case may suggest a short lifespan.
Buying Guide - How to Choose a Good External Hard Drive?
Are you looking to buy an external hard drive to save your computer's internal storage space and to have a backup of your data on your PC? However, you don't know which model to choose? Don't worry about our advice and buying guide for the best external hard drives in Canada.
Storage volume according to your needs
External hard disk drive models differ according to their storage capacity. This capacity is expressed in "bytes." It ranges from 250 GB to 4 TB (4000 GB) for standard portable models. However, it can be up to 6 TB for desktop external hard drives. To help you choose a given volume, you should consider your storage and usage needs.
For small office files, you don't need to look for a model with several hundred gigabytes. However, if you need to store small photos and MP3 audio files, look for a drive larger than 160 GB. For larger files (4K and Full HD videos, software, games, etc.), an external hard drive of 1TB or more will do the trick.
Compare basic performance
Here you can compare the existing templates according to the following:
Format and speed: be aware that 3.5" external hard drives are made for desktop computers. They weigh more than 1 kg and may require a mains power supply. Their rotation speed can reach up to 7200 rpm. They are swift but very power-hungry.
As for the 2.5" portable external hard drive and SSD foreign hard drive models, they are the lightest and most compact, weighing about 200g. They are self-powered via their USB port. They are suitable for a PC. They usually run at 5400 rpm. Finally, you have the 1.8" formats for mobile devices (walkman, smartphone, tablet, ultraportable PC, etc.).
Transfer speed and interface: 1.8'' and 2.5'' discs have a USB 2.0 port. This is the standard interface compatible with any PC. However, the data write and read speed does not exceed 60 MB/s here. If you're looking for the best performance of all, choose models with a new generation USB 3.0 interface (USB 2.0 compatible) with a transfer speed of up to 600 MB/s.
Or choose one with an eSata (600 MB/s), FireWire for Mac (up to 100 MB/s), or Thunderbolt for Apple and high-end PCs (1 GB/s) interface. Note that some computers are incompatible with these. A PCI expansion card may be required to read disks with these high-speed interfaces. Also, be aware that a drive can have two or even three interfaces at the same time.
More functions with current models
To find out which external hard disk drive to choose, also check out the various variants available on the market:
Multimedia: allowing to store files (photos, video, audio) and to play them, these disks can be connected directly to a TV set or a Hi-fi system. NAS or network: acting as a mini-server, their backup space is shared between several computers via a router. Cloud model: offering online storage solutions on Skydrive, Dropbox, etc. they must be connected to the Internet via a box.
SSD: they are light, portable, robust, silent, fast, and high-performance. That said, they are costly: a 250 GB SSD costs as much as a conventional 2 TB hard disk. Wifi external hard drive: content accessible to several mobile devices via wifi, via an iOS/Android application or a web browser. Game system models: Many users are turning to a PS4 external hard drive, Xbox One external hard drive, etc. to expand the storage and processing space of their game console.
When it comes to protecting the device, you have the so-called "rugged" disks with thick, solid edges. They're expensive, but they're an excellent value for mobile use. Also, think about a hard drive with integrated backup software to secure your data and have an automatic backup of your files. In the same vein, consider a password-protected disk solution.
As for determining your budget, you can refer to an online price comparator. But be aware that a portable external hard drive is getting cheaper and cheaper on the market. Now you know how to buy a more cost-effective external hard drive.